Friday 21 September 2012

Oggy Bloggy Ogwr wins Best Political Blog 2012


"Oggy Bloggy Ogwr is not just a political blog in the usual sense of responding to the day’s political events. Rather it is an attempt to explore some of the challenges that face Wales today, and offer solutions.

"It is impressive not only in the number of posts produced but also in the great detail in which they discuss their subject. What makes it stand out the most is that it is an effort to actually improve the country in which we live, rather than simply re-evaluating the day’s news and opinions." - Judges comments.

Oggy Bloggy Ogwr won best Political Blog at the Wales Blog Awards 2012 held in Cardiff last night. A blog awards might not be the most prestigious event in the world, but it goes some way towards acknowledging the breadth of online talent in Wales.

It was great to meet fellow nominees Y Cneifiwr and Carmarthenshire Planning in person, and as Y Cneifiwr summed up, compared to some of the other blogging subjects – ranging from music, sport, fashion and food & drink – political bloggers are "at the arse end of the business".

I'm not suggesting we're Byronic heroes, but most of the time it's a trudge of never-ending bad news stories. It's hard to stand on stage smiling when many of the blogs you write dump buckets of manure over people's heads – even if they deserve it. I hope my acceptance speech showed that you can have a sense of humour about the sheer levels of absurdity that surrounds these serious issues.

I think one improvement is to have separate "Best Writing on a Blog" awards for Welsh and English. I doubt you can judge the quality of writing – word play, nuances etc. - in two completely different languages on the same criteria. I think it's right that the other blog categories are bilingual so we don't reduce Welsh language blogs to token status. I read quite a few Welsh language blogs through Google Translate, which is imperfect, but I know some of best blogs in Wales are written in Welsh.

There were notable omissions from both the longlist and shortlists. Dic Mortimer is one of the best-written and entertaining blogs in Wales right now
, while in the politics section alone you're missing the likes of Jac O the North, Syniadau, Blog Menai, A Change of Personnel, Borthlas, Valleys Mam. Nobody visiting here is likely to agree with John Tyler's views, but he writes on subjects with  intelligence and forethought and that's all you can ask for - believe it or not, I consider Stonemason to be one of my guilty pleasures on the Welsh political blogosphere.

So even though I've won an award, I don't think it's fair to say that the blog awards themselves demonstrate how deep the Welsh blogosphere goes – in all subjects. I was familiar with a few, but not all, of the other blogs beforehand. Many of them are truly remarkable and have been bookmarked – winners, long-listed and short-listed ones.

I think I need to give you an idea now of why I started this blog and how I go about things.

I used to lurk on the Welsh political blogosphere during its "peak" around 2009/2010-ish. I would leave comments, sometimes anonymously, sometimes with my name. Then I realised I was starting to write so much that it warranted a blog of its own. The comment boxes wern't enough anymore.

I'd say that Syniadau, Ordovicius, Welsh Ramblings and Miserable Old Fart were my main "inspirations". I set Syniadau as the standard of blog I wanted to aim for in terms of depth and quality of analysis.

I started the blog with the aim of covering the devolution referendum and the 2011 Assembly elections, then leave it, coming back with bigger posts on issues relating to independence every few months - in effect, taking inspiration from Syniadau's forum on independence ideas and turning it up to 11.

Regarding the name, I knew it had to be catchy to stand out. As one of my favourite blogs was Ordovicius, and The Druid was also well-regarded, this blog was originally going to be called The Silurian – but I think that had already been taken. I thought of a few other names, knew I had to get Bridgend into it somehow – Ogwr – but how could I make that catchy? Hence, via Cornish miners and Max Boyce - Oggy Bloggy Ogwr. Even I get tongue-tied.

My blog hits for several months – were crap. I was going to pack it in sometime in September 2011 as it wasn't working. Then one of my posts was picked up by Duncan and Adam Higgitt of Wales Home fame. I was wondering where all these extra hits were coming from, but it turned out that Duncan Higgitt had been tweeting my posts (I wasn't a member of Twitter at the time – a big boo-boo). I realised there were people who wanted to read long-form posts - and wouldn't find it dull.

I eventually joined Twitter, but it wasn't until February/March this year that things took off. These include March 1st 2036, coverage of the Plaid Cymru leadership election, the defence "five parter" and the Green Investment Bank post. I had a much wider reach than I thought.

Ever since then,
there's been a maintained level of interest that lets me know that people actually care about what I write - even established names in Welsh politics. I've also been asked to write articles for Cambria magazine. The first was quite popular, while the second should be out in the next edition, hopefully in the next month or two.

Some of you might wonder how/why I write so many long posts.

Firstly, I have a background in the sciences, so for the best part of a decade I've had to deal with large amounts of data and produce analysis from that. Obviously in politics you usually come to the conclusion, then fit the evidence around it. I try not to do that - even if its obvious I have an agenda. I hope my recent posts on the economy show that even if I support independence quite openly, I'm not blinkered to the reality of the current situation.

Secondly, I'm not bragging, but I'm a fast writer. It took me under 20 minutes to write this.

Thirdly, I tend to break longer posts up into chunks, and write aggressively for short bursts at a time over several days or weeks - around graphs/data etc. when necessary. Most of it is simply good time management, and it's probably easier if you don't have any major responsibilities like children!

I joke about it, but I do have a life outside of blogging - which I see as nothing more than a very serious hobby. I like food & drink, football, gaming, weight-training (though it didn't show in the photo from the blog awards because I have God-awful fashion sense - I'll need to work on that) and I listen to some truly ear
-drum piercing heavy metal. Arsenal's dodgy defence last season probably motivated me most to "write aggressively".

Last but not least - someone has to do it. I don't think anyone, other than Michael Haggett (Syniadau) and a few others, has thought long and hard about the whats, hows and whys of Welsh independence. It's about thirty years too soon to be taken seriously, but I believe I'm "doing my bit" for the cause by stimulating debate and brainstorming options. When the time does come for it to be taken as a serious proposition, there'll be "something on the (virtual) table" for the professionals and policy wonks to work around. In some cases, maybe they could be on the table regardless of independence - media for instance - and I think that's the main reason why I won last night.

I won't be doing this forever obviously, but politics is such an open subject there's always something to write about. I've set a very high standard for myself, and worry that I might've peaked, but I hope I can continue at this standard for as long as possible.

I've only had to delete a single (non spam) comment in 19 months of blogging - out of hundreds of comments - which reflects very well on the maturity levels of readers and commentators. That's been the highlight for me.

I'd like to thank each and every one of you who've visited this blog, e-mailed me, followed me on Twitter/retweeted my posts, joined my facebook page or read my Cambria articles.

Diolch yn fawr iawn am eich cefnogaeth barhaus.

19 comments:

  1. It was great to meet you too. Superb blog, and a very well deserved win. Dal ati!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Owen! I can only echo Cneifiwr, great blog and a deserved winner. Keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your win I am probably guilty of taken "Silurian" for my blog years ago that in the end became "Morgan Hen", finally gave up when I realized I had no talent for it and that I did not live in Wales. In fact I even recall being told that because I was not a Welsh tax payer, which was true however both my mother and sister are. It was highly ironic that "DH" later on told us that it was none of our business how much money Jamie Dimon (CEO of Bank of America) made. I could have asked what business it was of his because he was not a US tax payer (which I am) or a Bank of America customer (which I am). However we are coming up to another US presidential election and my God if Romney wins we could be heading for a conflict with Iran that will make Iraq look like a play ground incident). Sorry going off tangent well done and I look forward to more exposes concerning Cardiff's "preferred option!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Owen. I hope you are wrong about 30 years too early!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which one are you Owen? The photos aren't labelled or have I missed something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I am glad that I found this Blog, a well deserved win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations : Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have put a bet on, called it early.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Owain, well deserved recognition - your recent series was a phenomenal piece of work.

    With such dismal, lazy news media in Wales blogs as informative and enlightening as this one are vital

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for all the kind messages. It'll be back to business as usual tomorrow.

    Michael - I think I made the right choice re. the name in the end :) . I'm on the fence when it comes to revealing tax details. It's great at exposing hypocrisy, but it also lowers the tone to a more personal level which doesn't really belong in politics IMHO. How are Americans taking the recent "gaffes" by Romney?

    Anon 19:10 - As anyone who follows this blog probably knows, I'm horrible at making predictions. Make it 40 years ;)

    Anon 21:40 - There was a photo on Twitter, but I can't seem to find it. I wore a black t-shirt and jeans. I suspect the official photos will be up in the next couple of days.





    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is wonderfully written, thoughtful and a credit to Wales. Many congratulations and keep it going - it really makes a difference.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, very well deserved! If only the Welsh mainstream media were half as informative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Ian and Welsh Agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  14. not around much at the moment, but wanted to say Congratulations on a well deserved award, agree with the judges always informative and challenging, your economic posts were excellent.

    Well done and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dead man running I think even Conservatives are upset http://www.businessinsider.com/romney-47-gaffe-george-romney-brainwash-2012-9

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent news Owen. Really pleased to see my blog referenced by you. The tone of your blog lends itself well to having good comments and good debates. I had to constantly wage a war against spam, trolling, racism, slander and so on. Possibly because the tone of my blog was negative in the years before it was "mine" and when it had different writers. And also because my blog supported a political party (albeit unofficially), and was targeted by opposing views.

    The strength of your blog is the quality and depth of analysis and the comments it attracts. I see some comments being left that are so detailed that they must be written by people who are seriously interested in politics and probably have various roles.

    There aren't many places to go online for quality Welsh political writing anymore. So keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all the extra good wishes, ACOP and WR.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Since Syniadau has quietened down and Welsh Ramblings has gone, this has become the best "nationalist" (I use that term vaguely and loosely) blog in Wales. It was already up there but in recent months there has been even more improvement. In the economy series I actually learnt alot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely a well deserved win. The biggest strength of this blog is, IMO, your interest in the nuts and bolts of how Wales works today and how it would work as an independent country. No other blog that I can think of, with the possible exception of Syniadau, has analysed the ins and outs of independence with such detail.

    Very pleased to see you get some recognition. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete