Sunday 13 December 2015

2015 Ends, Election Countdown Begins

(Pic : Wales Online)
Time for my usual end of year break. Having blogged for what feels like non-stop for 12 months it's come at the right time.

It's been a more than memorable 2015, for the wrong reasons as well as the right ones.

In terms of the former, the rise in terrorist attacks around the world - but the two Paris terrorist attacks in particular - are the big downer. It was tempting to write something on the November 13th attacks and subsequent British involvement in Syria, but to tell the truth I'd only be another sanctimonious voice repeating what other sanctimonious voices have said.

I still have significant reservations because the British Boy has "cried wolf" on supposed threats to our security many times in the past, and The West has a dreadful record when it comes to forward planning  - but in so-called Islamic State's case military action is justified and legal.

Then there's the return of the Conservatives for another five years, governing alone. I would otherwise be pleased at the prospect of Labour tearing themselves apart, but if there's any time we need an organised opposition it's now. Instead, the "progressive"/student union debating society elements of British politics have disappeared up their own backsides.

On the plus side, there's the emergence of the Scottish National Party as a serious force in UK politics – although this hasn't rubbed off on Wales yet. It's also been a vintage year for Welsh sport, with the men's football team qualifying for their first major tournament in 58 years, and their rugby counterparts sealing a memorable and historic win against England at their own Rugby World Cup. Now if we could do something similar next June....

In terms of domestic politics, although there are still significant matters - like local government reorganisation, draft Wales Bill, the final few laws of this Assembly term and the BBC Charter - for AMs to work on, there's a sense things have been winding down in terms of legislative work and ramping up in terms of electioneering. Quite a few debates in the Senedd chamber now resemble soapbox speeches that struggle to stay on point.

My coverage of the 2016 National Assembly Election will start at the end of February and I intend to provide as comprehensive commentary as I can. That'll include a thorough analysis of the Fourth Assembly's record, end of term awards, the state of the parties as they go into the election campaign, the manifestos (once they're released), coverage of any TV debates, key battlegrounds and detailed after-action reports for each party once the election's over.

I've always planned to quit blogging after the election – even I have a shelf life – but I haven't made a final decision yet.

There are also, of course, Police & Crime Commissioner elections as well as the intriguing prospect of a referendum in Cardiff to create Wales' first directly-elected mayor (see also : Local Sovereignty : The Municipality) – I'll have more to say on the latter in the new year.

Obviously, due to the election(s) my independence posts will be taking a back seat for the first half of 2016. If I haven't retired, I intend to publish a major re-write of my popular Defending Wales series in August, appropriately following on from my posts on foreign policy this summer (Wales & The World).

If I can find time and space, my Vice Nation series will continue with : gun ownership, junk food, tattoos and gambling. In addition, there's a significant anniversary coming up for Oggy Bloggy Ogwr, and I have something appropriate in mind lined up for that.

Top 10 Most Read Posts of 2015
  1. Election 2016 : Six Months to Go
  2. Rhiw Redevelopment Plans Unveiled
  3. Ogmore Vale By-Election Result
  4. Senedd debates draft Wales Bill
  5. Serious Business Party Announce Assembly Line Up
  6. Vice Nation : Smoking IV - Smoking & Independence
  7. Senedd Goes For Broke
  8. Smack My Senedd Up
  9. Network Rail - Taking the Welsh Government for a ride?
  10. Draft Wales Bill (Number Two)

Honourable mentions :
....that stands compared to the Wales Media Awards "news" website of the year.

I plan to rebuild my computer at the start of January, which may require extra downtime. I'll probably be back before the Assembly returns from recess on 11th January.

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i holl ddarllenwyr.

0 comments:

Post a Comment